I’ve always been challenged by Romans 5:3-5:
“We also exult in our tribulations, knowing that tribulation brings about perseverance; and perseverance, proven character; and proven character, hope; and hope does not disappoint, because the love of God has been poured out within our hearts through the Holy Spirit who was given to us.” (Romans 5:3-5)
Recently, I studied the psalms that David wrote to learn what I could about persevering through hard times, since David certainly knew what trouble and tribulation were all about!
Here are the top 10 points I found – to persevere through trials, when you pray be sure to:
1. Take the pain to God (Psalm 142:1-2)
2. Be honest about how hard it is (Psalm 69:1-3)
3. Be practical in your requests (Psalm 70)
4. Examine your heart to see if sin plays a role in the problem (Psalm 7:3-5)
5. Correct your perspective to focus on God (Psalm 56:3-4)
6. Worship the Lord (Psalm 57:7-11)
7. Seek to know the Lord (Psalm 63:1-8)
8. Take time to be silent (Psalm 62:1-2)
9. Bring it back to God at the end of every prayer (Psalm 13)
10. Keep praying (Psalm 55:16-17)
Amen and amen.