There are times when life is just awful. Fortunately, Philippians 4:1-13 gives us ten keys to facing life – no matter what life throws our way:
1. By acknowledging that life hurts, we are able to look at reality with clear vision – not with rose-colored glasses or with denial and lies.
“I know how to get along with humble means, and I also know how to live in prosperity; in any and every circumstance I have learned the secret of being filled and going hungry, both of having abundance and suffering need.” Philippians 4:12
2. By standing firm in the Lord, we remember that he is our Source and Foundation for all of life – not we ourselves.
“Therefore, my beloved brethren whom I long to see, my joy and crown, in this way stand firm in the Lord, my beloved.” Philippians 4:1
3. By rejoicing in the Lord, we keep our focus on God and on the eternal.
“Rejoice in the Lord always; again I will say, rejoice!” Philippians 4:2
4. By being gentle in heart, we remain teachable and moldable by God.
“Let your gentle spirit be known to all men.” Philippians 4:5
5. By remembering that God is near, we remind ourselves constantly that we are not alone.
“The Lord is near.” Philippians 4:5
6. By relinquishing control, we release our anxiety about the situation.
“Be anxious for nothing...” Philippians 4:6
7. By prayer, we keep in touch with God and his power can be released into our situation.
“...in everything by prayer and supplication ...” Philippians 4:6
8. By being thankful, we keep a proper perspective on life.
“...with thanksgiving let your requests be made known to God.” Philippians 4:6
9. By feeding our minds good things, we avoid despair, bitterness, anger, resentment, and a host of other sins.
“Finally, brethren, whatever is true, whatever is honorable, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is of good repute, if there is any excellence and if anything worthy of praise, dwell on these things.” Philippians 4:8
10. By trusting God, we know that life will never get the best of us – no matter what.
“I can do all things through Him who strengthens me.” Philippians 4:13